- I offer proofreading and copy editing, primarily of academic texts written in English. However, I have limited availability due to other work commitments.
- I have extensive and wide-ranging experience on numerous projects, collaborating with a number of European journals and working on book projects with academic publishers.
- I thoroughly enjoy the editing and proofreading process and my linguistic and sociolinguistic knowledge help me ensure grammatical accuracy while taking care to preserve genre, stylistic features and the author’s conventions and style preferences. In this vein, I have also published several texts on the social consequences of language standardization in leading European journals.
- My style guidelines are here: https://andrewjhodges.net/proofreading-guidelines-andrew-hodges/
- I also offer German-English (general texts) & Croatian/Bosnian/Montenegrin/Serbian -English (academic, technical and general texts) translation services on an occasional basis. I have several years’ experience translating primarily academic articles and publications.
- My areas of expertise include the social sciences and left political movements in South-Eastern Europe.
- If you require more details regarding my work, feel free to contact me.
- I have a PhD in a humanities discipline from the University of Manchester, and over ten years of writing experience, publishing a book and numerous articles in leading international journals.
- I have passed the Croatian-English C2 exam for legal translating with the highest possible grade, and have lived in Croatia for a total of five years.
- I am a full member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
- I have passed the Goethe C1 German exam and have lived in Germany for over a year.
“Dr Andrew Hodges is a very reliable copy-editor and proofreader. His work on my manuscript improved the language, while respecting my style and following my ideas of what the manuscript should look like. If I were a native English speaker, that is what I would want my text to sound like. His copy-editing and proofreading skills reflect not just his own (significant) experience in academic writing, but also the fact that he is a literary writer and a scholar exploring the social uses of language.”
Dr Čarna. Brković, Social Anthropologist
“Andrew has edited my MA thesis, PhD dissertation and some of my papers for publishing in academic journals. He pays great attention to details, is very fast and never misses deadlines. Given his background in anthropology, he provides very good comments on the content as well. When necessary, he has completed in-depth editing, whilst trying to keep my style intact. He is also a patient reader, keeping his focus even on very dull parts of my work. He is a perfect choice for any kind of academic writing.”
Dr Ivan Simić, Historian